Friday, August 10, 2012

Dayshots: Mother of Humanity

The last month has been a whirlwind. July 12th was my last day as a case manager at SRO Housing and Friday, July 13th was the graduation ceremony for Public Allies Los Angeles Class of 2012. It was held at Watts Community Labor Action Committee, "a non-profit, community-based, human social services organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for South Central Los Angeles residents."

After getting off the bus and finding the WCLAC, I found this sign:
I was on the right track, but I wasn't sure where exactly the ceremony was, as there are a few different buildings in the complex. I gravitated toward this statue:
The woman is in a simultaneously powerful and welcoming stance. The plaque seems to have gone missing. I found a link explaining that the statue is called Mother of Humanity. I like that she's holding what looks like a quill pen. I have an affection for those.

It's been less than a month since PA ended, but much has happened. I've been transitioning, journeying, exploring. I managed to finally release a new chapbook. I read at Tuesday Night Cafe. I went to the NQAPIA Conference and visited Sulu DC. I spent a beautiful six days in San Diego.

In the face of all the joy I've experienced are the tragedies of the last month. Thinking of those who've been lost, and all those we need to work to protect.