Thursday, July 30, 2009

Out of Downtown

It has been eight months since I moved out of my little studio at 18th and Main, four and a half months since I returned from my traveling jaunt around the US and to France.

I've done a lot of readjusting in the last few months, and I don't know whether I am near finished yet.

The work that I do with the Tuesday Night Project has brought me back to Little Tokyo for various events and meetings, but I have spent precious little quality time in Downtown since the end of last year.

I wonder what happened to Rick, the man down the hall who moved back to Arkansas to be with his family. I wonder whether Julian is still the handyman there. I wonder whether the girl who emailed me about the building so long ago is still living there. I wonder whether the ratio of students to small families has changed.

I miss it. I miss the desolate corner of Washington and Main where the Da Capo buildings stand. I miss stopping in at Felipe's little store to pick up condensed milk and hearing him say "Be careful!" as I awkwardly maneuver my bicycle back out onto the sidewalk. I miss the sound of the traffic and the trains and the city at night. I miss looking at the city skyline from the rooftop.

I feel another transition coming, but I'm not sure where or when it will be. In the meantime, Downtown continues to change and grow and I can't help but want to take part in it.

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour N welcome back, thanks for stopping by my blog.
    See even though you are physically gone from downtown LA, your heart and spirit is still there.
    Follow your bliss.
    Do what makes you comfortable and happy because in the end its all that matters.

    ReplyDelete