Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tofu & Cookie at Tuesday Night Cafe // Free Public Art

I help curate the performers for TNC and I'm excited that we were finally able to get Audrey Kuo on the bill! But the fates toy with me, and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it. It's going to be such a good show, and with Mista Cookie Jar, it'll be extra kid-friendly, too. 


Oh yes, and tickets are on sale for J-Town Summer Sessions! In the middle of Obon season, we're going to have a concert at Higashi Honganji Buddhist Temple on 3rd and Central. I'm selling tickets! There will be BBQ, art, & vendors. It's a fundraiser that we're hoping will raise enough money to cover the hard costs (equipment maintenance; food for performers, & volunteers; small stipend for sound engineer) for, hopefully, half of the shows for the season (7 of 14). 
Andrew Figueroa Chiang and the Blazing Rays of the SunConnie LimDawenJane LuiLindsey YungMista Cookie JarShin KawasakiSKIM -- these artists are what summer in Little Tokyo sounds like. Tuesday Night Cafe has been filling Little Tokyo with great music, young people, poetry, and community since 1999 (before the expensive high-rise apartments started popping up and j-town became a trendy place to hang out-- this is where my former self may have inserted something snarky about hipsters, but I'll leave that to Johneric now since I realized I haven't really been around long enough to complain about neighborhood changes). TNC is a huge part of how I and many others came to love and know Los Angeles, so I hope this event finds lots of support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment