Sunday, October 10, 2010

CicLAvia - Owning The Streets

I am sitting in the South Bay reading all the #CicLAvia tweets, and I have a smile on my face even though I'm not there and wish I could be. 






I'm seeing Twitpics of people playing tennis in front of City Hall, bikes all over, and people with huge smiles on their faces. It's a gorgeous day to take over Los Angeles streets. 


I'm looking forward to seeing this excitement carry over and hope that the people who are only just discovering a love for Los Angeles because of this event will remember that this Los Angeles is always there, underneath the traffic and the smog. Being able to stand in the center of a usually-busy street in broad daylight, surrounded by people is-- well, anyone who has marched in a May Day Rally or a Pride Parade or AIDS Walk can tell you-- it's empowering. 

Though I'm not there now, I can feel the Los Angeles love in the air, even from twenty miles away, and I'm happy. I hope this love carries on, and that ownership of the streets continues (while respecting traffic laws and safety, of course). Because this is our city, and these are our streets, and this event is only a reminder of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment